Thorn, F W
FREDERICK WILLIAM THORN
Remembered with honour Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery: Plot XXIV, Row E, Grave 27.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 October 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 27 September 1919.
Son of George and Mary Ann (nee LANE) THORN of Watford.
His parents married 1889 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district. George died 4 October 1933 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 6 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1935 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 1 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Frederick was born 1899 in Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death30/09/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)