Wooster, G A
GEORGE ALFRED WOOSTER
Remembered with honour St Hilaire Cemetery: Plot V, Row E, Grave 2.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private T4/110409 Royal Army Service Corps. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 13 August 1915, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 6 April 1918.
Son of Charlotte Emma (nee FITZJOHN) WOOSTER of Edmonton, Middx, and the late William WOOSTER; husband of Eleanor Isabelle (nee PERKINS) WOOSTER of Watford.
His parents married 17 November 1873 at St Matthew’s, Marylebone, London. William died 1914 aged 61; Charlotte died 1936 aged 78; both in the Edmonton district.
George was born 1889 in Edmonton, and baptised 5 June 1889 at St Mary’s, Edmonton. He married 4 December 1909 at Christ Church, Watford; they had one child. Eleanor remarried 10 December 1921 at Christ Church, Watford, to Jack SAUNDERS; she died 27 January 1983 in Watford aged 98, and was buried 3 February in North Watford Cemetery.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Edmonton, with his parents and four siblings [name recorded as WORCESTER]. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Edmonton, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a warehouseman aged 24, he lived in Watford, with his wife and one child.
Date of death27/03/1918
Age at death31
Place of death
NotesAlso recorded as WOODSTER G A in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)