Morgan, H H
HERBERT HENRY MORGAN
Remembered with honour Aire Communal Cemetery: Plot III, Row B, Grave 28.
He enlisted in Woolwich, London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 August 1914, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Herbert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 22 June 1918; plus In Memoriams in the issue dated 14 June 1919.
Son of Robert Henry and Matilda Sarah (nee DUKES) MORGAN; husband of Daisy (nee ELEMENT) MORGAN of Stanmore, Middx.
His parents married 9 October 1884 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Matilda died 1925 in Bushey, Herts, aged 59, and was buried 7 May at St James’, Bushey; Robert died 1955 in Oxhey, Herts, aged 93, and was buried 7 September, also at St James.
Herbert was born 1885 in Bushey, and married 1908 in the Watford district; they had two children. He worked as a carter for the London and North Western Railway.
On the 1891 Census, aged 6 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, a baker’s assistant aged 16, he was a boarder in Watford. On the 1911 Census, a vanman with a railway company aged 26, he lived in Stanmore, with his wife and two children.
Unit"A" Battery, 177th Brigade
Date of death11/06/1918
Age at death33
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)