Remembered with honour Delville Wood Cemetery: Plot VI, Row G, Grave 5.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 2414 Royal Sussex Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Ralph’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Ralph in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 September 1916 ; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 8 September 1917, 7 September 1918 and 6 September 1919.
Son of the late George and Theresa Fanny (nee COOPER) BONE.
His parents married 5 February 1883 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Theresa died 1892 in Bricket Wood, Herts, aged 36 and was buried 6 May at All Saints, Leavesden, Herts. George remarried 19 November 1894 at St Paul’s, Deptford, London to Mary SHEPHERD. He died 1904 in Watford aged 47, and was buried 26 April in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1941 in Watford aged 88, and was buried 7 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ralph was born 1892 in Brickett Wood, and baptised 5 June 1892 at All Saints, Leavesden. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a house painter aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed step-mother and one sibling.
Date of death05*/09/1916
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)