Daniels, E W
ERNEST WILLIAM DANIELS
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot K, Row 7, Grave 400.
He enlisted in Harrow, Middx, 31 August 1914, for General Service: a golf caddie aged 21, 5’8½” tall, C of E. He was deemed permanently unfit, not fit for light duties at home, and discharge was recommended 20 April 1915. He appears to have no medals and died at home.
Son of the late Mary (nee DANIELS) RODNEY.
Ernest was born 11 June or July 1893 in Bushey, Herts, and baptised 8 October 1893 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. He attended first Red Lion Yard Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 14 January 1901 to 9 July 1906. He resided in Watford; died in Watford, and was buried 8 May.
His mother married Henry Lewis RODNEY 22 August 1896 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. Mary died 1906 in the Watford district aged 37. Henry remarried 1910 in the Watford district to Mary CURD,; he died 1935 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 23 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery; Mary died 1948 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 6 February at St Paul’s, Langleybury, Herts.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his mother, step-father and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a greensman on golf links aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his aunt and guardian Charlotte Emma THORNTON.
Unit12th (Service) Battalion
Date of death05/05/1915
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesHis half-brother Reginald RODNEY died 6 November 1915 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)