Griffen/Griffin, R J
RUPERT JOHN GRIFFIN
Remembered with honour Unicorn Cemetery: Plot III, Row D, Grave 25.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed or died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Rupert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of John and Emily (nee DICKENS) of Whitchurch, Bucks; husband of Margaret Ann (nee PLUMRIDGE) GRIFFIN of Watford.
His parents married 16 May 1871 at St John the Evangelist, Whitchurch. Emily died 1933 aged 87; John died 1935 aged 92; both in the Aylesbury, Bucks, district.
Rupert was born 1886 in Whitchurch, and baptised 5 July 1886 at St John the Evangelist, Whitchurch. He married 1911 in the Wycombe, Bucks, district; they had two children. Margaret never remarried, and died 1964 in the Watford district aged 81.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 5 he lived in Whitchurch, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, his father’s helper aged 14, he still lived in Whitchurch, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a baker aged 25, he lived in Watford.
Date of deathon or about 29/09/1918
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)