Remembered with honour Les Baraques Military Cemetery: Plot VI, Row G, Grave 13A.
He was formerly Private SS/25553 Royal Army Service Corps; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 21 November 1915, and died at no. 35 General Hospital. Unfortunately, Isaac’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing, and he does not appear to have an entry in the Soldiers Died in the Great War dataset.
There is an article about Isaac in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 23 November 1918, and a Death announcement in the issue dated 30 November 1918.
Son of Elizabeth (nee PATTERSON) SPROAT) of Brayton, Cumberland, and the late Thomas SPROAT; husband of Agnes Mary (nee SYGROVE) SPROAT of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 1885 in the Penrith, Cumberland, district. Thomas died 13 September 1911 at Brayton aged 61; Elizabeth died 19 September 1932 in Wakefield, Yorks, aged 85.
Isaac was born 22 June 1887 in Brayton, and attended The Nelson School, Wigton, Cumberland, from 17 January 1899. He married 6 June 1914 at Bushey & Oxhey Methodist Church, and was employed by the London and North Western Railway Company as a clerk in the Audit Office at Euston. Agnes never remarried, and died 1977 in the Hove, Sussex, district aged 90.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Brayton, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Brayton, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a clerk aged 23, he was a boarder in Watford.
Unit18th Wagon Erecting Company
Date of death16/11/1918
Age at death31
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)