Searle, J H
JOHN HENRY SEARLE
Remembered with honour Le Touret Memorial: Panel 38 and 39.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 1 May 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 19 June 1915 and 15 April 1916, plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 17 June 1916, 22 June 1918 and 14 June 1919; also articles in the Watford Illustrated dated 3 July 1915 and 4 September 1915; as well as in the St Michael’s Parish Magazine dated August 1915 and May 1916.
Son of Elizabeth Mary (nee COSTER) SEARLE of Watford, and the late William John SEARLE.
His parents married 21 November 1883 at Christ Church, Brondesbury, Middx. William died 1923 in Watford aged 63, and was buried 31 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Elizabeth died 1936 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 19 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
John was born 8 November 1893 in Watford, and baptised 8 December 1893 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Victoria Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 30 April 1900 to 8 November 1907.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a gas works shop assistant aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of deathon or since 15/06/1915
Age at death22
Place of death
NotesHis brother Thomas died 20 September 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)