Francis, T A
THOMAS ALFRED FRANCIS
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 9.
He enlisted in Horsham, Sussex; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 20 December 1914. and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Thomas’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Emma (nee SMITH) FRANCIS of Watford, and the late William FRANCIS.
His parents married 18 November 1871 at St Mary’s, Horsham. William died 1907 in the Horsham district aged 62; Emma died in Watford aged 80, and was buried 26 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Thomas was born 1889 in Shipley, Horsham, and baptised 30 June 1889 atSts Peter and Paul, Ashington, Sussex. He resided in Horsham.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Shipley, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Shipley, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Date of death09/04/1917
Age at death27
Place of death
NotesRecorded as serving in the Royal Engineers in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)