Remembered with honour Contay British Cemetery: Plot III, Row C, Grave 28.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 5722 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died 16* October 1916 of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 4 November 1916.
Son of George and Mary Drusilla (nee WRIGHT) WEBB of Watford.
His parents married 1889 in the Staines, Middx, district. Mary died 1917 in Watford aged 51, and was buried 13 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; George died 1927 in Watford aged 64, and was buried 15 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
George was born 11 October 1896 in Watford, and attended first Callowland Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 5 January 1903 to 2 June 1911. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death19*/10/1916
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)