Molony, C A
CHARLES ALBERT MOLONY
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 1D 8B and 8C.
He attested 18 September 1914 at Watford, Short Service (3 years with the Colours), Private 17435, 9th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment: a stock broker aged 28 of Bushey, Herts, 5’9″ tall, Roman Catholic. He was appointed Lance-Corporal 23 November 1914, and discharged 5 December 1914 at Felixstore, Suffolk, in consequence of promotion to commissioned rank. During the attack on Hooge in October 1915, he was rendered blind for several days. He was invalided home, but recovered and returned to the front line in March 1916. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 September 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Michael and Catherine (nee SPELLESSY/SPELLISY) MOLONY; husband of Grace (nee PEPPLER) MOLONY.
His parents married 1871 in Ennis, Ireland. Michael died 1919 in the Edmonton, Middx, district aged 69.
Charles was born 1886 in Liverpool, Lancs, and baptised 1 February 1886 at Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, Liverpool. He married 7 February 1910 at the Roman Catholic Church, Harrow, Middx; they had two children. Grace never remarried and died 26 March 1965 in Epsom, Surrey, aged 79.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 5 he lived in Barnacre with Bonds, Lancs, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, an apprentice clerk aged 15, he lived in Dundee, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive [not with Grace in Watford].
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)