Goode, C R
CYRIL REGINALD GOODE
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 12D and 13B.
He enlisted 28 July 1913 at Mill Hill, Middx, for Short Service: a farm labourer aged 18, 5’6″ tall, C of E. He was stationed at Home 28 July 1913 until 12 August 1914; in France 13 August 1914 to 6 June 1915, where he suffered a gun shot wound to the buttocks and was transferred to England 6 June 1915 from No. 10 General Hospital. He was at Home from 7 June to 29 September 1915; and back in France 30 September 1915 until his death. He was appointed Lance-Corporal 28 July 1916; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 August 1914, and was killed in action.
Son of Frederick Charles and Sarah Ann(ie) (nee NORWOOD) GOODE of Watford.
His parents married 22 October 1889 at Holy Trinity, Frogmore, Herts. Frederick was in Montreal, Canada, so it is assumed he died there; Sarah died 28 July 1943 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 31 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Cyril was born 6 June 1894 in Watford. He attended first Victoria Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 7 January 1901 to 8 January 1907, and again from 9 April 1907 to 11 May 1908.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his mother and seven siblings.
Date of death27/08/1916
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)