North, W V
WILLIAM VICTOR NORTH
Remembered with honour Bushey (St James) Churchyard: Grave II at south end.
He enlisted in Shoreditch, London, and was formerly Private 4187 London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died in Watford of illness. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 13 April 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 5 April 1919.
Son of Edward and Mercy/Mircy Jane (nee DAY) NORTH of Oxhey, Herts.
His parents married 16 November 1895 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. Mercy died 1956 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district aged 82.
William was born 1897 in Watford or Bushey, and baptised 21 October 1904 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He was buried 6 April.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a scholar aged 13, he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death02*/04/1918
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesHis brother Sidney died 30 September 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)