Payne, W R S
WALTER REGINALD SANFORD PAYNE
Remembered with honour St Sever Cemetery Extension: Plot S, Row II.M, Grave 8.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Walter’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Henry and Martha (nee SANFORD) PAYNE.
His parents married 1897 in the Brighton, Sussex, district. Henry died 28 February 1956 aged 80; Martha died 7 March 1964 aged 85; both in the St Alban’s, Herts, district.
Walter was born 1899 in Brighton, Sussex.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Brighton, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a schoolboy and errand boy aged 11, he lived in St Alban’s, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death18/10/1918
Age at death18
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)