Gaukroger, G A
GEORGE ALEXANDER/ALEC/ALICK/ALIE GAUKROGER
Remembered with honour Doingt Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row A, Grave 40.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Adopted son of Stansfield and Eleanor (nee BROADHURST) GAUKROGER of Aylesbury, Bucks.
His adoptive parents married 13 February 1886 at St Mary’s, Manchester. Stansfield died 22 November 1930 in Aylesbury aged 70, and was buried 26 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Eleanor died 24 March 1947 in Aylesbury aged 83, and was buried 28 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
George was born 1897 in Heap Bridge, Lancs, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Todmorden, with his adoptive parents. On the 1911 Census, he still lived in Todmorden, with his adoptive parents.
Date of death23/09/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)