Remembered with honour St Amand British Cemetery: Plot I, Row B, Grave 13.
He enlisted 16 September 1914 in Willesden, London, for four years service, of Watford. He embarked from Southampton 1 February 1915 for Gibraltar, during which time he was promoted Lance-Corporal 31 July 1915. He embarked from Gibraltar 23 August 1915 for Alexandria, and was deprived of his Lance stripe 10 September for refusing to obey an order given by a Sergeant-Major. He embarked from Alexandria 4 December 1915, and again 8 May 1916 disembarking Marsailles 15 May 1916. He was transferred to the 1/8th Middlesex Regiment 3 July 1916, and was accidentally killed during instruction of the use of No. 1 grenade – live grenades used as no dummies were available. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 24 August 1915.
Son of Joseph and Clara Susannah (nee HUNT) COPLEY of Watford.
His parents married 8 August 1892 at St Mary’s, Watford. Joseph died 1937 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 4 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Clara died 1948 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 19 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Joseph was born 1896 in Watford, and baptised 20 January 1897 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an employee of Paget Prize Plate Co aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death15*/07/1916
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)