Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 41.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 22 June 1915, and was killed or died of wounds received in action. As part of the Battle of Loos, the Battalion was to attack at Vermelles and Cit-St-Elie on 25 September 1915. The Battalion moved across and over the first line German trench, practically without casualties. As soon as it began to advance across the open behind the German front line, it came under very heavy rifle fire, from which the Battalion suffered severely. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Arthur in the Watford Illustrated dated 18 December 1915, and a Death announcement in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 16 September 1916.
Son of Sophia Young (nee FOWLER) of Watford, and the late Samuel TAYLOR.
His parents married 1888 in the Watford district. Samuel died 23 October 1921 in Watford aged 59, and was buried 27 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sophia died 8 December 1939 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 11 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Arthur was born 25 September 1896 in Watford, and attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 5 January 1903 to 23 September 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a house boy aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)