Flook, S J
STEPHEN JAMES FLOOK
Remembered with honour St Pierre Cemetery: Plot IX, Row B, Grave 2.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 9 November 1914, and died at 55 Field Ambulance of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Stephen’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Stephen in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 25 May 1918.
Son of Stephen William and Theresa Henrietta (nee TRIGG) FLOOK; husband of Sarah Agnes (nee WOODFIELD) FLOOK of Watford.
His parents married 4 August 1883 at St Mary’s, Spital Square, London. Stephen died 17 November 1923 in Eastbourne, Hants, aged 67; Theresa died 5 February 1924 in Eastbourne aged 66.
Stephen was born 28 August 1884 in Bishopsgate, London E.C., and baptised 28 September 1884 at St Mary’s, Haggerston, London. He married 1907 in the Thakeham, Sussex, district; they had one child. He resided in Watford. Sarah never remarried, and died 1962 in the Maldon, Essex, district aged 81.
On the 1891 Census, aged 6 he lived in Erith, Kent, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, a laundry assistant aged 16, he still lived in Erith, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a chauffeur aged 26, he lived in North Kensington, London, with his wife and one child.
Unit886th Mechanical Transport Company
Date of death09/04/1918
Age at death33
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)