Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot G, Row 16, Grave 229.
He enlisted 29 September 1914, appears to have no medals, and was discharged 18 September 1918 due to sickness. The Silver War Badge was issued 1 October 1918. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing; nor does he appear to have an entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919.
Son of the late John and (Elizabeth) Ann TREVITHICK of St Ives, Cornwall; husband of Hannah (nee BRACKLEY) TREVITHICK of Watford.
His parents were born in Ireland and probably married there. John died 1896 aged 63; Ann died 1918 aged 82; both in the Redruth, Cornwall, district.
George was born 1864 in St Ives, Cornwall, and baptised there 6 July 1864. He married 26 March 1890 in Halton, Bucks; they had nine children. He died in Watford and was buried 30 April. Hannah died 12 January 1924 in Watford, and was buried 16 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar
On the 1871 Census, aged 6 he lived in St Ives, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1881 Census, a militiaman in the South Devon Militia aged 17, he was stationed in St Budeaux, Devon. On the 1891 Census, a Bambardier in the Royal Artillery aged 28, he was stationed at Sheerness Barracks, Kent, with his wife and no children. On the 1901 Census, a Staff Sergeant in the Royal Artillery aged 36, he was stationed at Shoeburyness Barracks, Essex, with his wife and five children. On the 1911 Census, a farmer and Army Pensioner aged 47, he lived in St Ives, Cornwall, with his wife and six children.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)