Woolman, J G
JOHN GRAY WOOLMAN
Remembered with honour Auberchicourt British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row A, Grave 4.
He joined the Inns of Court O.T.C. December 1916, and was gazetted to the York and Lancaster Regiment in September 1917. In April 1918 he went to France with the 1/4th York and Lancs, and was killed in action near Valenciennes. His medal card shows no medals awarded.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 16 November 1918.
Son of John and Agnes (nee GRAY) WOOLMAN of Broxbourne, Herts.
His parents married 1887 in the Leicester district. Agnes died 13 February 1933 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 16 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
John was born 7 January 1897 in Bushey, Herts, and attended Watford Grammar School from September 1904 to May 1909.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a scholar aged 14, he was a patient in West Horsham, Sussex.
Date of death02/11/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)