Allen, J B
JAMES BERRY ALLEN
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 11A.
He attested 9 December 1915 at Watford for Short Service (Duration of the War): a gardener’s labourer aged 27, 5’5″ tall, C of E, unmarried, of Bushey, Herts. His next-of-kin was his mother of St Alban’s, Herts. He was Home from 9 December 1915 to 30 June 1916, and in France from 1 July 1916, where he was posted as missing 3 September 1916, subsequently confirmed killed in action on that date. He was formerly 26253 Bedfordshire Regiment, and was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, which were sent to his sister of Watford.
There is a Death announcement for James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 December 1916.
Son of Emma (nee KING) ALLEN of Bushey, and the late Joseph ALLEN.
His parents possibly married 25 December 1877 at St James’, Bushey. Joseph died 1890 in the Watford district aged 31 and was buried 19 March at St Mary’s, Watford; Emma died 1934 in the St Alban’s district aged 74.
James was born 1888 in Watford, and baptised 7 November 1888 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Bushey.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer aged 22, he still lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and no siblings.
Date of death03/09/1916
Age at death27*
Place of death
NotesHis brother William died 11-13 April 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)