Sleat, G S
GEORGE STANLEY SLEAT
Remembered with honour Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot VIII, Row C, Grave 13.
He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died in France. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing, and also appears to have no entry in the Soldiers Died in the Great War dataset.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 November 1918.
Son of Martin and Alice (nee PRITCHARD) SLEAT of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 13 August 1887 at St Pancras Parish Church, London. Martin died 27 February 1920 in Bushey aged 65, and was buried 4 March at St James’, Bushey; Alice died 1927 in Bushey aged 66, and was buried 5 October, also at St James’.
George was born 18 May 1890 in either Bushey or Oxhey, and baptised 12 October 1890 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey.
On the 1891 Census, aged 10 months he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a fine etcher out of work aged 20, he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and three siblings.
Unit"E" Siege Park, attached IX Corps Heavy Artillery
Date of death17/11/1918
Age at death28
NotesHis brother Harold died 16 April 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)