Remembered with honour Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery: Special Memorial, Row A, Grave 23.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action 19* September 1917. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Sarah Ann (nee BATES) and the late William WEARING; husband of Harriet Florence (nee SAUNDERS) WEARING of Chipperfield, Herts.
His parents married 5 July 1876 at St Paul’s, Chipperfield. William died 5 July 1916 in Chipperfield aged 67, and was buried 8 July at St Paul’s, Chipperfield; Sarah died 22 March 1921 in Chipperfield aged 76, and was buried 26 March, also at St Paul’s.
William was born 1881 in Chipperfield, and baptised 4 September 1881 at St Paul’s, Chipperfield. He married 12 December 1912 at St Mary’s, Rickmansworth, Herts; they had one child. He resided in King’s Langley, Herts. Harriet never remarried, she died 4 January 1956 in Hemel Hempstead, Herts, aged 80, and was buried 10 January at St Paul’s, Chipperfield.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 9 he lived in Chipperfield, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, a footman aged 19, he still lived in Chipperfield. On the 1911 Census, a butler aged 29, he still lived in Chipperfield.
Unit32nd (Service) Battalion (East Ham)
Date of death22*/09/1917
Age at death36
Place of death
NotesRecorded as WARING W in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)