Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 5.
He enlisted in Watford, was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 July 1915, and was presumed died of wounds received or killed in action. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Elijah DRAKE of Watford.
As no marriage has yet been found for Elijah, William’s mother is unknown. Elijah died 1937 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 6 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Arthur was born in Rickmansworth, Herts, (though no birth has been found registered there), and resided in Watford.
On all Census returns Arthur and Elijah are proving elusive.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)