Wild, F B
FREDERICK BROMLEY WILD
Remembered with honour Dadizeele New British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row B, Grave 13.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly attached to 2 R.A.F. Cadet Wing 12 March 1918, before being sent to the 16th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Queen’s Westminster Rofles), Private 556787. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 19 October 1918.
Son of Walter and Louisa Jane (nee BROMLEY) WILD of Watford.
His parents married 4 October 1883 at Christ Church, Greenwich, London. Louisa died 1927 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 22 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Walter died 13 August 1940 in Twickenham, Middx, aged 84.
Frederick was born 17 April 1899 in Rickmansworth, Herts. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 January 1907 to 28 July 1911. He resided in Bushey, Herts, and was employed as a clerk by the London and North Western Railway Company.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Rickmansworth, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, he lived in Bushey, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death02*/10/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesPhilip Posner, John Heather, William Newell and Frederick Wild, all commemorated on this roll of honour, were pioneers of Scouting in Hertfordshire. Philip and John were pupils at Watford Grammar School for Boys. Philip's parents bequeathed 21 guineas to the school to provide a science prize in their son's memory. The mothers of John and Frederick helped the Scoutmaster with the work of the Scout Troop. William's tragic death mirrored that of Jack Cornwell, the nationally commemorated Scout who died of injuries sustained at the Battle of Jutland. These four boys were members of the The 1st South West Herts (Countess of Clarendon's Own), Hertfordshire's first registered Scout Troop, inaugurated in 1908. 80 other previous members served in World War 1. Their meeting place in 1914 was in the Church Hall of St Mary's Church, where the Memorial plaque honouring the four who died is situated on the north wall. The 1st Watford South (Countess of Clarendon's Own) incorporating 82nd Watford South Scout Group, which retains its lifelong association with the Clarendon family in its title and patronage, now has its Headquarters at the Scout Hut in Durban Road East, West Watford.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)