Remembered with honour Vis-en-Artois Memorial: Panel 4 and 5.
He enlisted in St Alban’s, Herts, and was formerly Private 149948 Royal Field Artillery. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of William and the late Ann Maria (nee WINCH) PEARCE; husband of Lizzie R (nee HULL) PEARCE.
His parents married 26 June 1858 at St Giles, Codicote, Herts. Ann died 1883 in the Royston, Herts, district aged 45. William remarried 6 December 1886 at St Nicholas, Harpenden, Herts, to Eliza PEARCE. She died 10 July 1917 in St Alban’s aged 80; William died 1920 in the St Alban’s district aged 85.
Ernest was born c1882 in Harpenden, and married 1913 in the St Alban’s district. He resided in St Alban’s.
On the 1891 Census, aged 10 he lived in Harpenden, with his father, step-mother and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a hat stiffener aged 19, he still lived in Harpenden, with his father, step-mother and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a straw hat stifner [sic] aged 29, he still lived in Harpenden, with his father, step-mother and one sibling.
Date of death21/08/1918
Age at death36
Place of death
NotesErnest is possibly the Pte PEARCE E Bedfordshire Regiment recorded in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)