Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 4.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 35162 Suffolk Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Jane (nee SEABROOK) and the late James CURL; husband of Rose Alice (nee CUTLER) CURL.
His parents married 1866 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district. James died 1915 in Bushey, Herts, aged 68, and was buried 8 February at St James’, Bushey; Jane died 1927 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 15 June, also at St James..
James was born 1884 in Northwood, Middx, and baptised 11 January 1885 at Holy Trinity, Northwood. He married 2 July 1910 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts; they had four children. Rose never remarried and died 1966 in the Watford district aged 82.
On the 1891 Census, aged 6 he lived in Bushey, Herts, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1901 Census, a general farm labourer aged 16, he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a waggoner on a farm aged 26, he lived in Oxhey, with his wife and no children.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)