Ling, S A E
SIDNEY ALBERT EDWARD LING
Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 25 to 27.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 2 May 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Sidney’ s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Florence Adelaide STEWART (formerly LING, nee HANCE) of Watford, and the late Albert James LING.
His parents married 1896 in the Watford district. Albert died 23 March 1910 in Watford aged 33, and was buried 27 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Florence remarried 1918 in the Watford district to Horace STEWART. Horace died 1952 in the Watford district aged 65; Florence died 10 October 1958 in Watford aged 80.
Sidney was born 2 January 1897 in Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 13 January 1904 to 19 December 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a baker’s assistant aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and two siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)