Rae/Ray, J E
JOHN ERNEST RAE
Remembered with honour Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery: Plot III, Row G, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died in Mesopotamia. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 February 1918.
Son of Ada (nee HULBERT) RAE of Watford, and the late John RAE.
His parents married 10 October 1891 at St Stephen’s, Bow, London. John died 1903 in Watford aged 36, and was buried 26 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Ada died 1939 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 23 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
John was born 1895 in Bethnal Green, London.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Bethnal Green, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a sugar boiler aged 15, he lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and one sibling.
Unit386th Battery, 30th Brigade
Date of death15/01/1918
Age at death22
Place of death
NotesRecorded as serving in the Hertfordshire Regiment (386 Battery) in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)