Wilcox, P S
PERCY STRACEY WILCOX
Remembered with honour Pozieres Memorial: Panel 7 to 10.
He attested 17 March 1917 at St John’s Wood, London, for Short Service (Duration of the War) as Private 197598 Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery: a student aged 18, 5’11” tall, C of E. Had spent five years with the St Lawrence College, Ramsgate, Kent, O.T.C., leaving with the rank of Sergeant. He was commissioned 30 July 1917 from Officer Cadet Unit to be Second Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery, gazetted 9 August 1917. He was posted to the 39th Division Artillery 15 September 1917; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action.
There is an article about Percy in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 6 April 1918.
Son of Charles Percy WILCOX of Watford, and Constance Honor (nee TODD) WILCOX.
His parents married 26 April 1890 at All Saints, St John’s Wood, London. Charles died 22 November 1937 in Leavesden, Herts, aged 83; Constance died 20 December 1953 in Leavesden aged 95.
Percy was born 3 June 1898 in Leavesden, and baptised 29 June 1898 at All Saints, Leavesden. He was educated at Gisburn House School, Watford, and St Lawrence College, Ramsgate.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Leavesden, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Leavesden, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death23/03/1918
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)