Lovelock, C S
CHARLES STANLEY LOVELOCK
Remembered with honour Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot X, Row A, Grave 6.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 5247 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Charles’ Service record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Charles in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 18 May 1918.
Son of Edward and Minnie Louise (nee TOLLEY) LOVELOCK.
His parents married 1896 in the Watford district. Edward died 16 May 1949 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 19 May in North Watford Cemetery; Minnie died 1958 in Watford aged 86, and was buried 16 July, also in North Watford Cemetery.
Charles was born 21 August 1898 in Watford, and baptised 4 September 1901 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Alexandra School, Watford, from 9 January 1900 to 24 October 1906; and again from 6 September 1909 to 25 July 1912. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school and a paper boy aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death27/03/1918*
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesIn some sources recorded as serving in the Bedfordshire Regiment, in other sources as the Hertfordshire Regiment (a former regiment)
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)