Newell, W A
WILLIAM ALFRED NEWELL
Remembered with honour Chatham Naval Memorial: Panel 22.
He enlisted 26 February 1918 [this is obviously incorrect] for a period of 12 years: a school boy, 5’7½” tall, having previously signed on 13 November 1916 as a Boy I Class. He was killed when his ship was blown up by an internal explosion; his body was not recovered for burial. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals.
There is an article about William in the St Michael’s Parish Magazine dated August 1917.
Son of Alfred and Mary Ann (nee WATTS) NEWELL of Watford.
His parents married 1899 in the St Saviour, London, district. Alfred died 1941 in Watford aged 62, and was buried 9 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1958 in Watford aged 78, and was buried 9 August in North Watford Cemetery.
William was born 26 February 1900 in either Camberwell or Lambeth, London. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 6 September 1909 to 27 February 1914.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Camberwell with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
RankBoy 1st Class
Date of death09/07/1917
Age at death17
Place of death
NotesTo see William's service record go to: www.findmypast.co.uk and select "British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924". Philip Posner, John Heather, William Newell and Frederick Wild, all commemorated on this roll of honour, were pioneers of Scouting in Hertfordshire. Philip and John were pupils at Watford Grammar School for Boys. Philip's parents bequeathed 21 guineas to the school to provide a science prize in their son's memory. The mothers of John and Frederick helped the Scoutmaster with the work of the Scout Troop. William's tragic death mirrored that of Jack Cornwell, the nationally commemorated Scout who died of injuries sustained at the Battle of Jutland. These four boys were members of the The 1st South West Herts (Countess of Clarendon's Own), Hertfordshire's first registered Scout Troop, inaugurated in 1908. 80 other previous members served in World War 1. Their meeting place in 1914 was in the Church Hall of St Mary's Church, where the Memorial plaque honouring the four who died is situated on the north wall. The 1st Watford South (Countess of Clarendon's Own) incorporating 82nd Watford South Scout Group, which retains its lifelong association with the Clarendon family in its title and patronage, now has its Headquarters at the Scout Hut in Durban Road East, West Watford.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)