Bennifer/Benifer/Benefer, T W
THOMAS WALTER BENNIFER
Remembered with honour Perth Cemetery (China Wall): Plot XII, Row A, Grave 11.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action in Germany. Unfortunately, Thomas’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam for Thomas in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated July 1919.
Son of Stephen and Finetta Mary (nee HOLMAN) BENNIFER of Watford.
His parents married 26 December 1890 at Sts Peter and Paul, Swaffham, Norfolk. Stephen died 1921 in Watford aged 51, and was buried 5 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Finetta died 1953 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 22 September, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Thomas was born 16 July 1893 in Swaffham, and baptised 9 August 1893 at Sts Peter and Paul, Swaffham. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School from 6 March 1900 to 7 December 1906. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 17 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death19/05/1917
Age at death23
Place of death
NotesHis brother Cecil died 23 July 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)