Whitehorn, J W
JAMES WILFRED WHITEHORN
Remembered with honour First D.C.L.I. Cemetery: Row D, Grave 22.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 24 March 1915, and was killed in action at Hill 60. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 1 May 1915, and in the Watford Illustrated dated 8 May 1915; a Death announcement in the Observer dated 15 May 1915; plus In Memoriam from the Grammar School in the issue dated 31 July 1915.
Son of Albert and Mary Jane (formerly BASTIQUE, nee GREENLAND) WHITEHORN of Watford.
His parents married 25 June 1890 at St Mary Magdeline, Woolwich, Kent. Albert died 1922 in Watford aged 78, and was buried 16 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1935 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 27 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
James was born 5 May 1895 in Watford, and baptised 7 July 1895 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Red Lion Yard Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 14 January 1901 to 31 July 1907, where he passed the written examination for County Council Scholarships to Watford Grammar School from September 1907 to July 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a apprentice mechanical engineer aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death20*/04/1915
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)