Smith, R A
REGINALD ARTHUR SMITH
Remembered with honour Grand-Seraucourt British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row F, Grave 4.
He enlisted in Wokingham, Berks, and was formerly Private 20557 Royal Berkshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Reginald’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Jesse and the late Ellen (nee HANNINGTON) SMITH.
His parents married 27 October 1894 at St James’, Barkham, Berks. Ellen died 1911 in the Wokingham, Berks, district aged 43, and was buried 16 November at St James’, Barkham. Jesse remarried 25 January 1913 at St James’ to Fanny SKITTLES; he died 1941 in the Wokingham district aged 72, and was buried 12 November, also at St James’; Fanny died 1955 in the Wantage, Berks, district aged 80.
Reginald was born 1898 in Wokingham, and baptised 27 November 1898 at St James’, Barkham. He resided in Barkham.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Wokingham, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12 he lived in Barkham, with his parents and two siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)