Hemming, F W E
FRANCIS WILLIAM ERNEST HEMMING
Remembered with honour Vis-en-Artois Memorial: Panel 6.
He enlisted in Warley, Essex, and was formerly Private 32798 Essex Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Francis’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Francis in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 20 September 1919.
Son of Francis Joseph Bache and Annie (nee JONES) HEMMING of Watford.
His parents married 7 April 1885 at St Matthew’s, Bayswater, London. Annie died 29 December 1932 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 2 January 1933 in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Francis remarried 1934 in the Holborn, London, district to Edith LODGE; he died 24 October 1936 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 27 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
There is an article about Francis senior in Watford in the 20th Century volume 1 among the Movers and Shakers Watford.
Francis was born 1885 in Paddington, London, and married 1913 in the Watford district; they had three children. Jessie never remarried and died 1975 in the Watford district aged 87.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 5 he lived in Acton, Middx, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, a junior clerk to a public company aged 15, he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a commercial clerk aged 25, he lived in Oxhey, Herts, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death18/09/1918
Age at death33
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)