Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 31 and 32.
He enlisted in Leighton Buzzard, Beds; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 11 November 1914, and was killed in action in a German attack on Hill 60. Unfortunately, Thomas’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of David and Mary UNDERWOOD; husband of Ethel POVEY (formerly UNDERWOOD, nee SMITH) of Northfleet, Kent.
His parent’s marriage is proving elusive. Mary died 1943 aged 76; David died 1950 aged 86; both in the Leighton Buzzard district.
Thomas was born c1888 in Leighton Buzzard, and married 19 April 1914 at All Saints, Leighton Buzzard. He resided in Leighton Buzzard. Ethel remarried 24 January 1919 at All Saints, Leighton Buzzard to John POVEY, and died 1955 in the Dartford, Kent, district aged 68.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Date of death21/04/1915
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)