Ings, W M or M W
MATTHIAS WILLIAM or WILLIAM MATTHIAS INGS
Remembered with honour Rue-David Military Cemetery: Plot II, Row E, Grave 46.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 December 1914, and was killed in action in the trenches south-west of Fleurbaix. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 20 February 1915; as well as In Memoriams in the issues dated 22 January 1916 and 27 January 1917.
Son of Matthias and the late Mary Ann (nee RADFORD) INGS of Watford.
His parents married 1883 in the Croydon, Surrey, district. Mary died 1892 in Bushey Heath, Herts, aged 32, and was buried 2 June at St James’, Bushey. Matthias remarried 16 September 1893 at St James’, Bushey, to Emily Eliza WELLS. Matthias died 1949 aged 92; Emily died 1958 aged 84; both in the Watford district.
William was born 1884 in Streatham, Surrey, and baptised 17 January 1886 at All Saints, Clapham Park, London. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, [Matthias] a scholar aged 5 lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, [William] a houseboy aged 15 he lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, [Matthias] a plumber’s labourer aged 25, still lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and six siblings.
Date of death24/01/1915
Age at death30
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)