Smart, A F M
ALBERT FREDERICK MAIN SMART
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 43 and 45.
He enlisted in Wellingborough, Northants; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 31 August 1914, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Albert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Albert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 16 January 1915, and an In Memoriam in the issue dated 28 October 1916.
Son of the late Morris Alfred and Mary Ann (nee BRAWN) SMART; husband of Ada Eleanor (nee ATKINS) SMART.
His parents married 1 August 1881 at All Saints, Earl’s Barton, Northants. Morris died 1908 aged 46; Mary died 1902 aged 40; both in the Wellingborough district.
Albert was born 30 June 1886 in Earl’s Barton, and baptised 8 August 1886 at All Saints, Earl’s Barton. He married 1908 in the Watford district; they had five children. Ada remarried 1919 in the Watford district to George William BIRCH, she died 1951 in Watford aged 60, and was buried 25 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 4 he lived in Wellingborough, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 14 he was a visitor with his mother in Wellingborough. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer aged 25, he lived in Watford, with his wife and two children.
Date of death02/11*/1914
Age at death28
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)