Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 160, 162A and 163A.
He attested 29 November 1915 in London: a farm labourer aged 39, 5’4″ tall, of Pimlico, Herts, married with eight children; and was formerly Private 17102 Royal West Surrey Regiment. He was transferred to the Middlesex Regiment 17 November 1916; was sent with the B.E.F. 25 January 1917, and transferred to the Labour Corps 9 May 1917. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action.
Son of James and Mary Ann (nee MOODY) BROWN; husband of Elizabeth (nee ALLEN) BROWN of Pimlico.
His parents married 2 November 1873 at St Mary’s, Redbourn, Herts. James died 1937 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district aged 85; Mary died 24 August 1946 in the Watford district aged 93, and was buried at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley, Herts.
George was born 1877 in Redbourn, and baptised 7 January 1877 at St Mary’s, Redbourn. He married 6 September 1902 at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley; they had nine children.
On the 1881 Census, aged 4 he lived in Redbourn, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1891 Census, an agricultural labourer aged 14, he lived in Leverstock Green, Herts, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1901 Census, a horse man on a farm aged 24, he lived in Bedmond, Herts, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer at an institution aged 34, he still lived in Bedmond, with his wife and six children.
Date of death16/02/1918
Age at death41
Place of death
NotesGeorge is possibly the G BROWN commemorated on the Leverstock Green War Memorial and at Holy Trinity, Leverstock Green
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)