Bailey, H M
HERBERT MARK BAILEY
Remembered with honour Vimy Memorial.
He attested 6 March 1916 at Edmonton, Alberta: a car inspector aged 28 of Hardisty, Alberta, 5’4″ tall, C of E, unmarried, his next-of-kin his brother Alfred of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. He was previously reported missing, now for official purposes presumed to have died.
There is a brief article about Herbert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 15 September 1917.
Son of Thomas and the late Frances Ellen (nee MARTIN) BAILEY.
His parents married 9 September 1883 at St Stephen the Martyr, Hampstead, London. Frances died 1916 in Watford aged 56, and was buried 22 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Thomas died 1940 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 17 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Herbert was born 4 June 1887 in Hammersmith, London.
On the 1891 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, a carpenter’s apprentice aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)