Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 13A and 13B.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Sydney’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Sydney in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 August 1916.
Son of Herbert and Fanny Maria (nee BECKLEY) WOODWARD of Watford.
His parents married 1879 in the Watford district. Herbert died 13 January 1925 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 16 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Fanny died 17 May 1944 in Watford aged 89, and was buried 22 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Sydney was born 7 August 1895 in Watford, and attended first Red Lion Yard Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove School, Watford, from 3 February 1902 to 15 April 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 15 he lived alone in Watford.
Service numberR/7795 or R/7705
Unit"D" Company, 2nd Battalion
Date of death23*/07/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)