Overton/Overtin, W G
WILLIAM GEORGE OVERTON
Remembered with honour Fins New British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row B, Grave 7.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 4221 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about William on the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 March 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 8 February 1919.
Son of Thomas and Hannah or Rose Anna (nee DOBSON ?) OVERTON; husband of Emily Jane (nee TOMS) OVERTON.
His parent’s marriage and deaths are proving elusive.
William was born 1884 in Bushey, Herts, and married 5 August 1907 at St Andrew’s, Watford; they had two children. He resided in Watford. Emily remarried 1922 in the Watford district to Harry SEWELL, and died 17 February 1974 in King’s Langley, Herts, aged 88.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 6 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a laundryman aged 16, he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a house painter aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his wife and one child.
Date of death11/02/1918
Age at death33
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)