Newman, W J
WALTER JAMES NEWMAN
Remembered with honour Bushey (St James) Churchyard: Old Churchyard 2.
He was called-up 21 March 1917: an insurance clerk aged 31, 5’8″ tall, C of E, of Oxhey, Herts; next-of-kin his father. He was transferred to the 594th Company Labour Corps 18 May 1917, and attached to the E C Transfer Centre, Watford, from 7 December 1918. He died at home of pneumonia following influenza. He appears to have no entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919.
Son of Walter James NEWMAN of Oxhey, and Emma (nee BROOKER) NEWMAN.
His parents married 9 November 1884 at St Thomas’, Stepney, London. Walter died 22 June 1924 in Oxhey aged 63, and was buried 11 February at St James’, Bushey.
Walter was born 1885 in Mile End, London, or Stepney.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 5 he lived in Camberwell, Surrey, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, a commercial clerk aged 15, he still lived in Camberwell, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, an insurance clerk aged 25, he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and one sibling.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)