Chatfield, R F or F R J
REGINALD FRANK or FRANK REGINALD JONES CHATFIELD
Remembered with honour Le Touret Military Cemetery: Plot III, Row F, Grave 32.
He enlisted 8 September 1914 in Hertford into the 1st Herts Territorial Force: a printer aged 19, 5’4″ tall, Baptist, unmarried, of Watford. He embarked from Southampton 23 January 1915, and was promoted to Acting Lance-Corporal in the Field 1 March 1916. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 January 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Arthur Frank and Mary Clara/Clarissa (nee HOLMAN) CHATFIELD.
His parents married 1888 in the Tunbridge Wells, Kent, district. Arthur died 1917 in the Watford district aged 56; Mary died 1926 in the Tonbridge, Kent, district aged 65.
Reginald/Frank was born 7 April 1895 in Tottenham, Middx, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 13 February 1905 to 20 April 1909. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Tottenham, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a printer aged 15 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death26/05/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)