Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: N.Z. Apse, Panel 7.
He enlisted 28 May 1915 at Trentham, New Zealand, for the Duration of the War: a labourer aged 23, 5’7″ tall, Presbyterian; his next-of-kin his father. He sailed from Wellington, New Zealand, 9 October 1915 to Suez, Egypt, and was appointed Lance-Corporal 14 August 1917. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, and was killed in action at Passchendaele.
There is an In Memoriam for Daniel in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 19 October 1918.
Son of John and Ellen/Helen Louisa (nee JOYCE) DAVEY of Otago, New Zealand; husband of Nellie Florence VERNON (formerly DAVEY, nee HEARNE) of Oxhey, Herts.
His parents married 1882 in New Zealand. Ellen died 1944 in New Zealand aged 79.
Daniel was born 26 November 1890 in Otago, New Zealand, and married 30 August 1917 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey; they had one child. Nellie remarried 19 April 1919 at St Gabriel’s, Pimlico, London, to Sidney Charles VERNON, and died 1981 in the Redbridge, Essex, district aged 88.
There is a Marriage announcement for Daniel in the Observer dated 1 September 1917.
Unit"A" Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Rifle Brigade
Date of death12/10/1917
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)