Snelling/Snellings, T or E
EDWARD or TED SNELLING
Remembered with honour Woods Cemetery: Plot II, Row B, Grave 10.
He had previously enlisted in the 4th Bedfordshire Militia 21 January 1902 at Watford: a labourer aged 18, 5’5″ tall, C of E, of Watford. He was discharged on conviction of felony 4 February 1905. He attested 29 September 1915 in London, Ontario: a labourer aged 29, 5’8″ tall, C of E; next-of-kin his wife of London, Ontario.
There is a Death announcement for Edward in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 September 1916.
Son of Edward and Mary Ann (or Elizabeth) (nee SAVAGE) SNELLING; husband of Annie Elizabeth (nee FORD) SNELLING.
His parents married 12 May 1884 at St Mary’s, Watford. Edward died 1893 in Watford aged 38, and was buried 20 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1936 in the Watford district aged 83.
Edward was born 23 February 1886 in Watford, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 16 January to 24 February 1899. He emigrated to Canada 30 October 1905 aboard Lake Erie Liverpool to Quebec, a labourer aged 22. He married 30 May 1908 in London, Ontario. Annie remarried 12 February 1919 in London, Ontario, to Alfred DICKENSON.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a golf badge boy aged 27 he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and three siblings. On the 1911 Canadian Census, a watch/match worker aged 26, he lived in London, Ontario, with his wife and two children.
Unit7th Battalion, British Columbia Regiment
Date of death23/06/1916
Age at death30
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)