Glenister, J T
JOHN THEOPHILUS GLENISTER
Remembered with honour Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery: Plot III, Row D, Grave 8.
He enlisted in Dover, Kent; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of the late Henry and Sarah Jordan (nee DARVILL) GLENISTER.
His parents married 2 December 1852 in Chesham, Bucks. Henry died 1892 aged 62; Sarah died 1911 aged 77, both in the Amersham, Bucks, disrict.
John was born 2 September 1872 in Ley Hill, Chesham, and resided in Watford.
On the 1881 Census, he [and all the family] are proving elusive. On the 1891 Census, a farm labourer aged 19, he lived in Chesham, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, an agricultural labourer aged 27, he was a boarder in Ley Hill. On the 1911 Census, [Jack] a farm labourer aged 25, he was a boarder in Chartridge, Chesham.
Date of death11/11/1916
Age at death44
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)