Powell, H R
HAROLD RICHARD POWELL
Remembered with honour Strand Military Cemetery: Plot V, Row A, Grave 6.
He enlisted in Oxford, and was formerly Private 9007 156th (Oxfordshire) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison artillery. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Harold’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Harold in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 June 1917.
Son of Stanley and Maggie (nee WHITHAM) POWELL; husband of Edith Esther (nee WAINE) POWELL.
His parents married 1890 in the Paddington, London, district. Stanley died 5 December 1933 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 18 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Maggie died 1957 in Watford aged 88, and was buried 23 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Harold was born 1895 in Watford, and married 12 June 1916 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a grocer aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit156th Heavy Brigade
Date of death06/06/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesRecorded as serving in the Royal Field Artillery in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)