Stapleton, W H
WILLIE HERBERT STAPLETON
Remembered with honour Lillers Communal Cemetery Extension: Row A, Grave 1.
He attested 21 November 1915 in Watford for Short Service (For the Duration of the War): a cook aged 29 of Watford, C of E. He was mobilised 31 May 1916 at Bedford as Private 29599 Bedfordshire Regiment, and at some point transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. From 18 October to 21 December 1917 he spent time in hospital and a convalescent home suffering from dysentery. He embarked Folkstone and disembarked Boulogne 15 April 1918, where he joined the 51st Battalion in the Field 17 April 1918. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action.
There is a Death announcement for Willie in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 11 May 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 26 April 1919.
Son of Samuel and Elizabeth (formerly ODELL, nee HUTCHINS) STAPLETON; husband of Eva Clara (nee BROWN) STAPLETON of Watford.
His parents married 1866 in the Hardingstone, Northants, district. Elizabeth died 1919 aged 75; Samuel died 1928 aged 84; both in the Northampton district.
Willie was born 1886 in Northampton, and married 7 April 1912 at Princess Street Baptist Chapel, Northampton. Eva remarried 1922 in the Watford district to Herbert W ANDERSON, and died 20 March 1973 in Watford aged 86.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 4 he lived in Northampton, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a boy in the shoe trade aged 14, he still lived in Northampton, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, an insurance agent aged 24, he still lived in Northampton, with his parents and one sibling.
Unit51st Heavy Brigade
Date of death22/04/1918
Age at death31
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)